First Year Garden

Before I started my first year vegetable garden I had a phase of bonsai trees and wanting to bonsai other plants. With a move coming in a few months I decided to stop buying plants and wait until after the move. One afternoon Lisa asked if we could grow veggies and when I said yes she told me I could buy more plants. We started with some started veggie plants until we could get seeds to get started.

I am going to pause for a moment and say my grandfather had a garden most of the years I knew him, and him not here to guide me this was and is a lot of trial and error.

We started with some tomatoes, kale, coliflure, and some banana peppers, but we did not stop there. in time we added more tomatoes, lettuce, and herbs all in an effort to see what we could do.

Winter is here and we are starting to harvest from the tomatoes, and looking to what else we can plant and plan for the next things we want to grow.

update before publishing: The winter cyclone my kill my garden and peppers as I just do not have the areas prepped and ready for all the plants to survive. This has been a great leaning experience with my garden and I know the next one will be better.

Chickens, Rabbits, and Tractors

While the image of a bird or rabbit chugging along on a John Deere, and many people I talk to this is their first thought, but this is not what I mean. A chicken or rabbit tractor is a ground cage typically made with PVC pipe or wood and covered in such away to shelter your livestock. These devices are not all that bad, or hard to make and can be a great addition to your homestead. I recently made 2 of these tractors with a slight modification or two in ways that I thought it would help for my needs. There is a lot of modularity in the design and I plan to put together a how to post when I build out a few more so I can refine my building technique.

The reason I was building tractors is that we got some polish chickens from some new friends. We were offered these birds when we picked up our cat Ren. Separated from the rest of the flock as they were smaller and not getting along with the other chickens, or so we were told we accepted these chickens. Lisa has been wanting chickens for some time now and getting some grown birds helps with the learning curve as well as puts us in eggs quicker.

So update on the kits I bought we have lost 5 of the 6, with Pepper being the lone kit left. Pepper will be moving out of quarantine in a few days, as they are not showing any signs of illness. Monday we will be giving a nesting box to Delilah and hope to have kits a few days after that. Rita Hayworth will also be placed with Rogers to see if we can get a lift from her.

-After writing this post before reading for the edit Rita escaped again and we are not pursuing as hard this time as she did not lift when we put her into the cage with Rogers

Shed Pre-delivery Inspection

today 12/11/17 we had the pre-delivery inspection for the new storage shed we are having delivered in the coming week. The company that is doing the sales and transport had some concerns with the knowledge that there was a power line overhanging the delivery area. Looking at the site several times before we went to look and fill out the paperwork I knew I had the slack to push the line up to surpass the peak height of the building.

Inspecting the area I knew I also needed to cut some saplings that are growing out of some partially rotted stumps, and knock down a fire pit that should never have been put into the area. I found glass scattered through the area and thought it good that a shed would keep most of it from being a danger to anyone in the area soon enough.

Now with the pre-delivery done I know what my task list is to getting the area cleaned up over the next week before the shed arrives.

Losing Livestock

This is a sad post, as it is about loosing a rabbit due to negligence. Our last day of moving I had help moving the live stock, but before moving them I pulled the pans on Buck and Rogers and cleaned it and left the litter out for the move. When we set up the cages in the new location and I did not check to see if the latch for the litter pan on Bucks cage was locked. Coming home with the last load of boxes and cleaning supplies from the old place I had to dig out the food and feed the rabbits.

Walking out with my flashlight, rabbit pellets, and wife we immediately see the litter pan from Bucks cage on the ground. I shine the light at his cage and he is not there. my first thought is “crap we just lost a rabbit”, but looking behind the workshop we find him. I expect him to bolt as I reach down, but he does not. I expect him to fight my hand as I scruff him, but he does not. I lift him and his foot dangles and flops, and I know his leg is broken. This is where most pets would be taken for care, and this is where I places him in his cage to purge for the night. I lost the rabbit as he was not worth the expense to take to a vet. for that same cost I can replace him with another buck and still have a good breeding program.

Was I sad yes, but I was more mad that I did not check the pan. More so I became more diligent with my live stock immediately and hope that I can keep someone else from making the same mistake.